Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Indonesian Style Rice with Tempeh

Indonesian Style Rice with Tempeh
I love a little sweetness in my savoury dishes and this hearty tempeh and rice meal fits the bill.  I used an entire package of tempeh instead of just one cup because once it was poached and crumbled, I didn't want to waste the remainder.  Next time I will add more than 2 cups of napa cabbage to increase the veggie content and make this a more balanced one pot meal.  I left out the hot chili to make it child friendly and instead used part of a bell pepper to blend up with the shallots.  I enjoyed the nutty flavour and chewiness of the tempeh and rice mixture.  While I was eating it felt very satisfying and filling.  Leftovers the following morning were just as good.  This is another winner from Robin Robertson's Vegan Planet, she is fast becoming my favourite cookbook author.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for that recipe review. I was just thinking about making that tonight, and you just convinced me to do so. I have a Chinese cabbage to use up, and I didn't know what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's a great recipe for using up a ton of cabbage. I hope you liked it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it was great. I also served it with the sambal Robin recommends, and it was terrific with it, but definitely not kid-friendly!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome!