Sunday, February 6, 2011

Cauliflower and Potatoes with Spices


Cauliflower and Potatoes with Spices

I borrowed The Asian Vegan Kitchen from the library and fell in love.  There are about 30 pages of photos in the centre of the book and I want to make every single recipe.  I decided to do an Indian Inspired Sunday brunch today starting with the Cauliflower and Potato with Spices recipe on page 18.  I also made up my own lentils in a tomato/cashew sauce which was delicious but I will post the recipe for that later. 

The potato and cauliflower dish is what they call a dry dish.  I don't always have fabulous results with this type of recipe and I'm definitely a sauce freak.  You basically fry the spices and ginger in a bit of oil and then add the potatoes and cauliflower with a couple of tablespoons of water and let them steam or cook in their own juices.  I was missing two of the spices; mango powder and asafetida so I'm not sure how those missing flavours would have affected the outcome but my husband and I both give this dish a 3 out of 5.  The cauliflower was a little soft and the texture of the potatoes a bit weird for lack of a better word.  I have a feeling I may enjoy this more tomorrow as leftovers. 
________________________________________________________________

My friend Kathryn over at The Hedgehog in the Kitchen has been having fun trying recipes from The Peaceful Palate and this week cooked up Pasta with Peanut Sauce.   Looks yummy Kathryn!

5 comments:

  1. Oh Yum. I get this dish in vegetarian/vegan Indian restaurants. They call it aloo gobi. I normally like sauce dishes too but I do like the combination of cauliflower and potatoes with spices. I hope you enjoy the leftovers and that the texture improves. It looks delicious. I wonder if it would be good with other foods in a wrap or maybe blended to a creamy soup? You're the cook; you'll have ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the left-overs were more praiseworthy. I do love cauliflower, though, and it looks pretty in the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!!!!!!!! This sounds like something that my kids will love! I'm gonna' try it, and I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog and am having fun nosing around :)
    This cookbook sounds like something I want to get a hold of...I'm off to see if our library has a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The leftovers were pretty good Kathryn.

    Christine, how great that your kids are adventurous eaters!

    Welcome BookGirl, I hope you enjoy the blog, I love meeting new people!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome!